1. Science! Not only do our science blocks support Next Generation Science Standards, we also have two hands-on labs that prompt students to ask questions, look for patterns, and construct explanations about the world around them. Click to read more about our Microscope and Skulls Labs.
2. Social-Emotional Learning! For over a decade, Westminster Woods has been dedicated to Social-Emotional Learning on our Challenge Course. Our facilitators are highly trained in leading students through fun and engaging activities that promote social and self-awareness and relationship skills.
3. Partnerships! Westminster Woods has a longstanding partnership with UC Berkeley’s Lawrence Hall of Science, creator of the cutting edge BEETLES environmental education curriculum. We are also piloting an evening program developed by the National Marine Sanctuaries and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association.
4. Small Group Sizes! Students spend their time at The Woods in trail groups of 10 – 15 students. These small group sizes allow for individual attention, group cohesion, and new friendships.
5. Seasoned Teacher Naturalists! Our Teacher Naturalists are kind, inclusive, and have extensive post-college experience in teaching, science, and outdoor leadership. Every school year, we spend 10 days of staff development where we work to build community, learn new material, and stay at the forefront of best teaching practices.
6. See what’s to love in our new introductory video!